Three workers taken to hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide

Article content

Three workers at a Calgary business were taken to hospital Tuesday evening after being exposed to carbon monoxide and other noxious fumes.

The Calgary Fire Department was called to the 900 block of 48th Avenue S.E. around 5:45 p.m. Tuesday for reports of people feeling ill and losing consciousness at a commercial shop.

One worker was found outside the building when firefighters arrived. Crews entered the building with self-contained breathing apparatuses and found two more employees who were losing consciousness and feeling ill.

The three workers were transported to hospital by AHS paramedics.

The hazardous materials response team was called in to assist, and adjacent businesses were evacuated as a precaution. Fire crews were able to safely vent the building.

Fire officials determined the problem was caused by a heater burning a “recycled alternative fuel” that malfunctioned and released carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and other toxic gases.

The Calgary Fire Department is reminding everyone to ensure they have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home.

View Source