One person dead after Salmonella outbreak linked to dog treats

Article content

Health Canada says there have been eight cases of Salmonella leading to one death after an outbreak linked to pig ear dog treats.

People reported becoming sick after feeding their dogs Paws Up! and Western Family brands of pig ear dog treats, Health Canada said in a public health notice posted to its website.

The supplying company, Masters Best Friend, issued a notice to stop sales of the treats on Tuesday. The products were sold nationally, and according to Health Canada, two of the cases of Salmonella happened in Alberta.

The illnesses happened between February and early August; three people were hospitalized and one died.

“Anyone can become sick with a Salmonella infection, but children aged five years and under, older adults, pregnant women or people with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for contracting serious illness,” Health Canada said in the notice.

Symptoms of Salmonella, which typically start six to 72 hours after exposure and usually last four to seven days, include fever, chills, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, headache, nausea and vomiting.

Health Canada warns people not to feed their dogs Paws Up! or Western Family brand dog treats, which may still be in people’s homes though they aren’t available in stores, to always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling pet food or treats and sanitize any areas that came in contact with the treats with hot, soapy water.

View Source