Calgary Crown gives notice it will seek adult sentence for Edmonton man charged as youth in 2007 murder

Article content

The Edmonton man charged with first-degree murder in the 2007 death of a Calgary woman could be sentenced as an adult if found guilty of the crime.

Crown prosecutor Carla MacPhail on Monday told youth court Judge Steve Lipton she will officially file notice to the accused on his next appearance of an intention to seek an adult sentence.

Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act the prosecution is required to give formal notice it will be seeking an adult sentence in order for such a punishment to be sought.

“It is the Crown’s intention to provide adult sentence notice,” MacPhail said, as the now 29-year-old accused appeared in court via closed-circuit TV from the Calgary Remand Centre.

Defence lawyer Gavin Wolch asked that the case be adjourned until April 15 so he can have time to review the disclosure on the case.

His client will remain in custody in the interim.

Because the man was only 16 at the time of the killing of Calgary woman Tara Anne Landgraf, he is being prosecuted as a youth.

Unlike in the YCJA’s predecessor legislation, the Young Offender’s Act, individuals charged as minors are tried as youths before an appropriate sentence is determined. Under the Young Offender’s Act, the Crown could apply to have an accused tried as an adult.

Landgraf, 37, was fatally stabbed in August 2007 in the city’s southeast community of Ramsay.

The accused was arrested in Edmonton last month.

Police said it did not appear the victim and perpetrator knew each other prior to the deadly attack.

KMartin@postmedia.com

On Twitter: @KMartinCourts

View Source