Temporary court injunction tied to protests in Calgary’s Beltline ends

A temporary court injunction intended to address protests in the city’s Beltline against public health measures has ended.

The injunction had been in place since March 18.

An Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench justice granted the injunction, which prohibited ongoing violations of existing bylaws and legislation, and also reinforced and clarified enforcement authority.

“The city thanks everyone for their co-operation. We believe the injunction is no longer required and that ongoing activity can effectively be managed under existing laws and bylaws,” the city said in a release Tuesday.

The city said the injunction was originally sought due to the “compounding impact” of the ongoing disruptions as well as escalating behaviour that was causing public safety concerns.

Doug King, a professor of justice studies at Mount Royal University, said at the time of the injunction that it was an important warning shot for those engaged in such protests.

“There are consequences for breaking the law while engaged in a peaceful protest,” he said. 

At the beginning of this year, there were about 300 people attending the protests, according to police. In February, that number grew to between 2,000 and 5,000. By the end of February and early March there were 1,300.

The protests in Calgary against COVID-19 public health restrictions started nearly two years ago.

The city said it will continue to work with enforcement partners to monitor the impacts of any ongoing protests and whether or not it may be possible to seek future injunctive relief.

View Source